Stable Cell Line Development Services
Single cell culture is a method of culturing isolated single cells to obtain single-cell-derived cell clones for both basic research and therapeutic applications.
Using Microfluidic Techniques for Single Cell Culture
Microfluidics has emerged as a useful tool for single cell culture applications.
Growing cells in microfluidic devices have several advantages over traditional Petri dishes and well plates:
- The microdevices can more precisely manipulate single cells and control the cell culture conditions.
- The miniaturized devices can increase the throughput and reduce experiments' reagent/cell consumption due to their small size.
- Microfluidic devices can be integrated with microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) technology to form lab-on-a-chip devices that combine single cell culture and analysis in a single device.
Workflow of Stable Cell Line Development Service (Single Cell Clone)
1. Cell Cluster Dissociation
- Enzymatic chemicals such as trypsin, elastase, and hyaluronidase.
- Mechanical methods include shaking, pipetting, vortexing, and sonication.
- Microfluidic techniques.
Fig.1 Microfluidic dissociation device. (Qiu, 2016)
2. Single Cell Isolation
- Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorting (FACS).
- Laser Capture Microdissection (LCM).
- Limiting Dilution.
3. Culture Single Cell in Microfluidic Chips
Below is the list of microfluidic techniques used for isolation and single cell culture for obtaining single cell clones.
Table.1 Microfluidic techniques for single cell culture. (Yeh, 2019)
|Isolation Approaches||Culture Condition||Clonal Transfer||Major Advantage||Major Disadvantage|
|Microwells||Compartmental wells||Yes||Easy manipulation; High throughput; Easy fabrication||Pooled colonies|
|Microtable/Microplallets||Compartmental pallets, tables||Yes||High efficiency in obtaining colonies||Special laser equipment requirement|
|Microlateral chambers||Compartmental chambers||No||High throughput||Unable to transfer colonies; Low single cell efficiency|
|Cell traps||Compartmental chambers||No||High throughput; High single cell efficiency; Automation||Unable to transfer colonies; Difficult fabrication|
|Microvalves||Individual chambers under electronic control||Yes||Controllable microenvironments||Difficult fabrication; Complex setting for experiments|
Fig.2 Microfluidic devices for isolating and culturing single cells. (Yeh, 2019)
Creative Biolabs provides single cell line development service (single cell clone) from cell cluster dissociation to culturing single cell and obtaining single cell clone, helping you to study the metabolic, migration, and differentiation heterogeneity in cell populations. If you have any requirements, please feel free to contact us for further communication about your project.
- Qiu, X.L.; et al. Microfluidic device for mechanical dissociation of cancer cell aggregates into single cell. Lab Chip. 2015, 15(1): 339-350.
- Yeh, C.F.; Hsu, C.H. Microfluidic techniques for single-cell culture. Single-Cell Omics. 2019, 1: 137-151.